Tel: 01889 505277

Our Pullman Cars

Our Dining Cars

ursula-car

URSULA

  • {1960} Schedule Number : 242
  • Running name or number : URSULA
  • Date into service : 1st May 1928
  • Builder : Metropolitan Carriage Wagon & Finance co. Ltd, Saltley, Birmingham
  • Type of car : Parlour First Class
  • Wheels : 8
  • Length & Width : 63’10 x 8’10
  • Tare : 38T
  • Seating : 24
  • Delivery Livery : Pullman Umber & Cream

One of thirty cars built for the introduction of the ‘Queen of Scots’ Pullman service. Remaining on the London North Eastern Railway until the early 1960’s when replaced by the new fleet of 44 cars.

Transferred to the Southern region of British railways to replace the even older cars. Ursula remained in service until 1967

1928 May 1st - Inaugural run of the ‘Queen of Scots’ service, running between Kings Cross via Leeds to Edinburgh and Glasgow.
1939 Sept 1st - All Pullman services withdrawn on the L.N.E.R. for the duration of the war 1939 – 1945. Placed in storage for the duration.
1944 October - Noted in store at Polegate near Eastbourne Sussex
1946 January - Refurbished and repainted, seating reduced to 22 from 24. Tare weight increased to 39T.
1948 July - Reintroduction of the ‘Queen of Scots’ Pullman Service
1960 - Displaced on the Eastern region. Transferred to the ‘Bournemouth Belle’ replacing older cars
1967 July 9th - Bournemouth Belle service withdrawn. All Southern region Pullman cars withdrawn except three Brighton Belle sets which remain in service until April 1972. The Golden Arrow now reduced to four first class cars and withdrawn in September 1972
1967 - British Rail offer for sale redundant Pullman car. In Coope Purchase Ursula and install at The Spotgate Inn {see photos in lounge}

ursula-car1

CAR No 75

  • Running name or number : Car No 75 Third class
  • Date into service : 1st May 1928
  • Builder : Metropolitan Carriage Wagon & Finance co. Ltd, Saltley, Birmingham
  • Type of car : Parlour Third Class
  • Wheels : 8
  • Length & Width : 63’10 x 8’7
  • Tare : 36T
  • Seating : 42
  • Delivery Livery : Pullman Umber & Cream

One of thirty cars built for the introduction of the ‘Queen of Scots’ Pullman service. Remaining on the London North Eastern Railway until the early 1960’s when replaced by the new fleet of 44 cars.

Transferred to the Southern region of British railways to replace the even older cars. Car No 75 remained in service until 1967

1928 May 1st - Inaugural run of the ‘Queen of Scots’ service, running between Kings Cross via Leeds to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Calling at Leeds, Darlington, Newcastle upon Tyne, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
1939 Sept 1st - All Pullman services withdrawn on the L.N.E.R. for the duration of the war 1939 – 1945. Placed in storage for the duration.
1942 – 1948 - Loaned to L.N.E.R. for the use as a First class and repainted all over teak livery.
1946 - Returned to Pullman Co. Refurbished and repainted in Pullman livery
1948 - Reintroduction of the ‘Queen of Scots’ Pullman Service
1960 - Displaced on the Eastern region. Transferred to the ‘Bournemouth Belle’ replacing older cars
1960 – 1965 - Known to have worked on the Golden Arrow service. Note: the fittings near the coat of arms on the body sides at each end. These fittings were only on cars used on the Golden Arrow so that a board with either Golden Arrow or ‘Fleche d Or’ could be fitted on each car
1965 June 14th - Second class Pullman Cars withdrawn from the Golden Arrow service
1965 – 1967 - Allocated to the ‘Bournemouth Belle’ service
1967 - Bournemouth Belle service withdrawn
1967 - British Rail offer for sale redundant Pullman car. In Coope Purchase Car No 75 and install at The Spotgate Inn {see photos in lounge}